As a Federation member CDCU, we are confident that you will be able to obtain CDFI Certification. Our confidence is based on the knowledge that Federation CDCUs meet the six criteria required for CDFI certification:
- CDCUs have a primary mission of promoting community development
- CDCUs are regulated financial insitutions
- CDCUs have a membership that is drawn from predominantly low-income and underserved communities and populations
- CDCUs are directly accountable to their members and communities they serve
- CDCUs provide services that build the capacity of their members to manage their financial lives
- CDCUs are non-governmental entities
Benefits of CDFI Certification
More than $80 million in CDFI Fund awards to credit unions since 1996
- 98% of CDFI Fund credit union awardees have been Federation member CDCUs
- CDFI-certified CDCUs recently recived nearly $70 million in long term, low-cost secondary capital loans from Treasury's Community Development Capital Initiative (CDCI)
- Certified CDFIs eligible for capacity building programs and other forms of financial and technical assistance
How do we apply for CDFI certification?
- Apply on your own: Certification applications and instructions from the CDFI Fund are available here.
- Apply with Federation Assistance: The Federation can help you to prepare and submit your application as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you would like Federation assistance, please click here.